5/15/13- 2:40 am-My water broke. I was not really sure that it broke since I thought it would be like a rush of water but it was really just a constant flow. I had slept downstairs because my legs were so swollen that I could not make it to our room and I remember calling Kyle to come downstairs because I thought my water had broke. We both were not sure since we thought I would also have contractions after my water broke but I did not feel any different after it broke.
5/15/13 11:00 am- I went to the doctor and she confirmed my water had broke and she told me to head to the hospital. I was 4 cm dilated and I called Kyle to tell him to leave his landscaping job and that we're having a baby :)
5/15/13 1:00ish- We made it to the hospital. I was not in any pain but I kept thinking that I just want to get to the hospital so I can get settled in my room and not have to be in extreme pain before I get an epidural. Since I did not look like I was in too much pain every nurse and staff person kept asking me why I was being induced and I had to keep explaining that my water had broke and my doctor told me to come. Also since my water had broke my pants were absolutely soaked by the time I made it to my room. I remember just wanting to throw them away instead of keeping them since I did not want to remember how embarrassed I was that they were so wet.
5/15/13 5:30 pm - I got an epidural. I was probably a 5-6 on the pain scale but I did not want to feel anymore pain without getting an epidural. The funny thing is I actually knew the person was that gave me my epidural. She is an RNSA student and I am in charge of the students at Children's so it was actually pretty funny that I knew the person that was giving it to me. The epidural did not hurt and I was glad that I got it when I did. I thought once I got the epidural I would not feel anything but I still felt pressure, which is what I am supposed to feel just not pain which I did not know.
5/15/13 6:00-10:00 pm- Gave me medicine because I got a fever and they were worried that Ava might be distressed. I was fully dilated by 10:00 so they gave my doctor a call. The practice I go to their are three doctors and I saw each of them during my pregnancy but of course the person who actually delivered Ava was the person they have on call when they are really busy and I had never met her before. They gave me a little more medicine to take the pain away but wanted to make sure I could still feel pressure so that I could push.
5/15/13 10:30 pm- Started pushing. I could feel when the contractions were coming and sometimes the nurse and doctor were talking so I would ask them if it was okay if I pushed since I wanted this baby out of me :) I pushed for two hours and by the end of it I was really exhausted, I'm not sure I could have done it if I had felt all the pain from labor lol
5/16/13 12:32 am- Ava made her arrival into the world :) Since we did not know what we were having Kyle announced when she came out that we had a GIRL :) They put her on my stomach and I cried. The first words I said to our daughter were "Mommy can't wait to buy you all kinds of cute girl clothes", precious right? Instead of telling our daughter how much I love her or that she is a gift from God I tell her that I am going to buy her lots of material possessions, I am going to blame it on my exhaustion that I did not say something better to her when she entered the world :) Kyle cut the umbilical cord and then they took Ava to get cleaned up.
5/16/13 12:35 am- Ava was good at the one minute Apgar scale but at the 3 minute mark she became unresponsive so they had to stimulate her pretty hard and actually caused a bruise on her back (she had a bowel movement when she came out so they were worried that she might have swallowed some of it which could cause a lung infection). It was really scary because we were not sure what was going on but all we knew was that they called peds to come to our room to look at Ava. At the same time that was going on with Ava I had three really high blood pressures and they were afraid that I might have a seizure. They put me on magnesium sulfate, which is a muscle relaxer and would help me to not have a seizure and I would be on it for 24 hrs. Kyle was so torn when Ava and I were both having complications. Ava and I were both in the same room but not close enough where he could hear what was going on with both of us. He was going back and forth to check on both of us. At the 5 minute apgar scale Ava was fine and we let our family come in really quickly so they could see Ava and I. We did not have them stay or really get to hold her because it was really late and most of them had to go to work and also because of the issues Ava and I had Kyle was not sure that people should be in the room for that long.
5/16/13 1:00ish- I finally got to hold Ava and feed her. It did not feel real holding her and it was crazy that she had just come out of me.
5/16/13 3:30 am- We made it to the recovery floor and we had Ava go to the nursery since Kyle and I were both exhausted.
5/16/13 4:00 am- 10:00 am- When they were doing their routine checks on me I was having moderate to heavy bleeding which they were concerned about. Ava had been doing great though.
5/16/13 10:00 am-4:00 pm- Lots of family and friends were coming to see Ava and I but because of I was bleeding so much our family could not really see me because the nurses were checking in on me so much. During this time I also passed three really big blood clots (two were softball size, one watermelon size) and then they became really concerned. They tried to get me to get up to go to the restroom but every time I would stand up I would immediately get dizzy and my ears would start ringing. They said the magnesium would make me feel like I had the flu but it really did not sit with me well.
5/16/13 8:00 pm- Gave me pitosin to contract my uterus since the magnesium was preventing my uterus from contracting and that's why I was having so many blood clots
5/17/13 7:00 am- Tried to manually clean out my cervix because they could tell by the ultrasound that I had clots left. They gave me 4 milligrams of morphine to help with the pain of doing it manually but cleaning it manually did not work.
5/17/13 9:00 am- I had to go back to the labor and delivery floor to get a DNC. I had to be put under for the surgery, it lasted about half an hour. I was told that I looked as white as the sheets since I had lost so much blood. When I came out of surgery I had to stay on the delivery floor and got three units of blood. After I got the blood I started to feel better and I was getting my color back. We had to spend the day on the labor floor until they could do a blood count at 8:00 that night. They told us it is really rare for someone to go from the delivery floor to the recovery floor back to the delivery floor. The nurses on the delivery floor are not good at taking care of the patient after you have the baby for an extended period of time so it was not a lot of fun being on that floor all day. The nurses were nice but they were not as helpful and friendly as they were on the recovery floor. One nurse made us feel bad about giving Ava supplement but we had to since my milk had not come in and poor little thing couldn't go hungry.
5/17/13 8:00 pm - 10:30 My blood count came back good and we went back up to the recovery floor
5/18/13 9:00 am- Since I was feeling better they took the catheter out and I actually was able to walk around the room a little. I took a shower which made me feel better but it was really hard to walk around since my legs and feet were still really swollen. My doctor said that she wanted me to stay another night so we knew that we would be in the hospital another day. This day was probably what a typical day would look like after you have a baby. The nurses came in every once in awhile but not all the time and we got to enjoy being with Ava. We were getting stir crazy at this point though and we were ready to leave the hospital.
5/19/13 8:00 am- {Kyle wanted me to add this} Kyle was by Ava's crib and he farted and said something really funny to her about farting. The next moment Ava also farted and Kyle thought it was so funny and laughed really hard.
5/19/13 12:30 pm- We got to leave the hospital! I was glad that Ava and I were taken care of so well and that we needed to stay at the hospital so they could monitor me to make sure I was okay. The nurses and pediatricians at the hospital were all very nice and super helpful. We really loved the pediatrician at the hospital, she never made us feel like we were doing something wrong (since we were giving Ava supplement) and she was always really nice and friendly. I joked with Kyle that some of the nurses were nice since I had made little gift bags to give them. I know that when someone gives me something I am nicer and want to help them out and I think the gift bags really worked at the hospital :)
5/19/13 1:00-6:00 pm- Our house seemed so weird to me when we got home, nothing was different but for some reason it looked different to me. Bentley got to meet Ava for the first time and we got to settle into the house with our baby girl.
5/15/13 6:00-10:00 pm- Gave me medicine because I got a fever and they were worried that Ava might be distressed. I was fully dilated by 10:00 so they gave my doctor a call. The practice I go to their are three doctors and I saw each of them during my pregnancy but of course the person who actually delivered Ava was the person they have on call when they are really busy and I had never met her before. They gave me a little more medicine to take the pain away but wanted to make sure I could still feel pressure so that I could push.
5/15/13 10:30 pm- Started pushing. I could feel when the contractions were coming and sometimes the nurse and doctor were talking so I would ask them if it was okay if I pushed since I wanted this baby out of me :) I pushed for two hours and by the end of it I was really exhausted, I'm not sure I could have done it if I had felt all the pain from labor lol
5/16/13 12:32 am- Ava made her arrival into the world :) Since we did not know what we were having Kyle announced when she came out that we had a GIRL :) They put her on my stomach and I cried. The first words I said to our daughter were "Mommy can't wait to buy you all kinds of cute girl clothes", precious right? Instead of telling our daughter how much I love her or that she is a gift from God I tell her that I am going to buy her lots of material possessions, I am going to blame it on my exhaustion that I did not say something better to her when she entered the world :) Kyle cut the umbilical cord and then they took Ava to get cleaned up.
5/16/13 12:35 am- Ava was good at the one minute Apgar scale but at the 3 minute mark she became unresponsive so they had to stimulate her pretty hard and actually caused a bruise on her back (she had a bowel movement when she came out so they were worried that she might have swallowed some of it which could cause a lung infection). It was really scary because we were not sure what was going on but all we knew was that they called peds to come to our room to look at Ava. At the same time that was going on with Ava I had three really high blood pressures and they were afraid that I might have a seizure. They put me on magnesium sulfate, which is a muscle relaxer and would help me to not have a seizure and I would be on it for 24 hrs. Kyle was so torn when Ava and I were both having complications. Ava and I were both in the same room but not close enough where he could hear what was going on with both of us. He was going back and forth to check on both of us. At the 5 minute apgar scale Ava was fine and we let our family come in really quickly so they could see Ava and I. We did not have them stay or really get to hold her because it was really late and most of them had to go to work and also because of the issues Ava and I had Kyle was not sure that people should be in the room for that long.
5/16/13 1:00ish- I finally got to hold Ava and feed her. It did not feel real holding her and it was crazy that she had just come out of me.
5/16/13 3:30 am- We made it to the recovery floor and we had Ava go to the nursery since Kyle and I were both exhausted.
5/16/13 4:00 am- 10:00 am- When they were doing their routine checks on me I was having moderate to heavy bleeding which they were concerned about. Ava had been doing great though.
5/16/13 10:00 am-4:00 pm- Lots of family and friends were coming to see Ava and I but because of I was bleeding so much our family could not really see me because the nurses were checking in on me so much. During this time I also passed three really big blood clots (two were softball size, one watermelon size) and then they became really concerned. They tried to get me to get up to go to the restroom but every time I would stand up I would immediately get dizzy and my ears would start ringing. They said the magnesium would make me feel like I had the flu but it really did not sit with me well.
5/16/13 8:00 pm- Gave me pitosin to contract my uterus since the magnesium was preventing my uterus from contracting and that's why I was having so many blood clots
5/17/13 7:00 am- Tried to manually clean out my cervix because they could tell by the ultrasound that I had clots left. They gave me 4 milligrams of morphine to help with the pain of doing it manually but cleaning it manually did not work.
5/17/13 9:00 am- I had to go back to the labor and delivery floor to get a DNC. I had to be put under for the surgery, it lasted about half an hour. I was told that I looked as white as the sheets since I had lost so much blood. When I came out of surgery I had to stay on the delivery floor and got three units of blood. After I got the blood I started to feel better and I was getting my color back. We had to spend the day on the labor floor until they could do a blood count at 8:00 that night. They told us it is really rare for someone to go from the delivery floor to the recovery floor back to the delivery floor. The nurses on the delivery floor are not good at taking care of the patient after you have the baby for an extended period of time so it was not a lot of fun being on that floor all day. The nurses were nice but they were not as helpful and friendly as they were on the recovery floor. One nurse made us feel bad about giving Ava supplement but we had to since my milk had not come in and poor little thing couldn't go hungry.
5/17/13 8:00 pm - 10:30 My blood count came back good and we went back up to the recovery floor
5/18/13 9:00 am- Since I was feeling better they took the catheter out and I actually was able to walk around the room a little. I took a shower which made me feel better but it was really hard to walk around since my legs and feet were still really swollen. My doctor said that she wanted me to stay another night so we knew that we would be in the hospital another day. This day was probably what a typical day would look like after you have a baby. The nurses came in every once in awhile but not all the time and we got to enjoy being with Ava. We were getting stir crazy at this point though and we were ready to leave the hospital.
5/19/13 8:00 am- {Kyle wanted me to add this} Kyle was by Ava's crib and he farted and said something really funny to her about farting. The next moment Ava also farted and Kyle thought it was so funny and laughed really hard.
5/19/13 12:30 pm- We got to leave the hospital! I was glad that Ava and I were taken care of so well and that we needed to stay at the hospital so they could monitor me to make sure I was okay. The nurses and pediatricians at the hospital were all very nice and super helpful. We really loved the pediatrician at the hospital, she never made us feel like we were doing something wrong (since we were giving Ava supplement) and she was always really nice and friendly. I joked with Kyle that some of the nurses were nice since I had made little gift bags to give them. I know that when someone gives me something I am nicer and want to help them out and I think the gift bags really worked at the hospital :)
5/19/13 1:00-6:00 pm- Our house seemed so weird to me when we got home, nothing was different but for some reason it looked different to me. Bentley got to meet Ava for the first time and we got to settle into the house with our baby girl.
Once we go to our room
After Ava was born
Our little girl!!
sucking her thumb, precious :)
After my DNC. I look really bad
Our itty bitty perfect little girl :)
No comments:
Post a Comment