Thursday, June 30, 2011

Mountain Momma take me home country roads

A couple weekends ago my padre and I traveled to good ole West Virgina to go Whitewater Rafting on the New River. I have been going for a little over ten years and this year we did something new, we did a bridge walk tour. During the bridge walk we walked across the New River Gorge canyon on a 24 inch wide catwalk - 850 feet above the river! It is the longest bridge in North America and is the highest vehicular bridge in the Americas, and the second-highest in the world - 3,030 feet (924 m) long and its arch extends 1,700 feet (518 m) {all information taken from the bridge walk site}.

I was not scared to do this once I knew we were harnessed in but my dad {who suggested we do this} was not as excited once we got out there. He did not like being out there at first, but did not show it and he was really uneasy because the catwalk shakes when semi-trucks or other large vehicles go over the bridge. I'm not sure I would do it again because nothing is really going to change but it was cool to do it.

Enjoy the pictures



our guide {who was a senior in hs} wore boat shoes :)







Halfway across






 
how my dad really felt about being up there




the blog title came from this song, a must if you are driving through wv


No comments: